Thursday, January 30, 2020

Music Video Notes & Plans

Music Video Notes, plans & ideas.

My music video represents the band Daughter and their well known song "Youth". Daughter are an indie-folk band from England. I'm going to be using the hybrid minds remix as I feel it works better. The original song (without remix) is more slow and draining where as the remix version by hybrid minds is upbeat. The original song lyrics convey an "ode to the complicated yet exciting times you experience while growing up".

 I've decided to put a twist on this as exciting experiences we now face with newer generations are slowly deteriorating and lot's of the newer generation children's childhoods are now almost all portrayed on mobile phones.

In my music video my underlying message will entail a boy 'Trying to escape this hyper reality dream of mobile phones being gone forever when he put's his music on but its unescapable - mobile phones being replaced with fortune tellers and 'riddles'.

My plot line will basically consist of, my main character will be listening to the song through his earphones, everyone in his class are oh phones, subsequently he falls asleep wakes up and everyone's phones have changed into these fortune tellers. When he takes earphones out the music will stop and the phones will be back out. He carries through his whole day, then wakes up.. It's all a dream, he gets home and his parents . mum is playing with one.

Locations he will face throughout the day:
- outside 
- school
- home
- village
- parks
- (natural lighting places)

For me location is really important, due to not having extremely 'advanced technology' while developing and producing my music video I think I have come to know that using natural lighting is my best bet. Filming outside in brightest areas you can the natural lighting will mean you wont have to boost up the IOS on the camera which is vital to make it look as 5 star as possible.

 I'm going to try to use this to my advantage where I will get the most natural shots possible to link in with my slight experimental narrative. I have decided to also try and take benefit of where I live, it's slight remote location with lots of fields and long roads will make good use for my music video where a main motif is loneliness. 


Another is by using the place where I am most at - college. I can easily get shots here as I know the area extremely well and I can easily plan when the quietest times will be for me to film. I also don't need to book the other student I am working with into the college as he goes to it to which is an added bonus.

































Shot ideas:

- Josh making someone fall over bending down and his earphone comes out and the phone is replaced with a fortune teller.

- Intertextual references in the music video to bitter sweet symphony record him walking out of kegs and pushing into people.

- Close ups of people playing.

- Lots of shot reverse shots.

- Stop motion

- fast paces shots

- in car shots

- from other car shots of josh in car





Notes


from researching other hybrid minds music videos they have used vhs type old footage to present an experimental story.
hyper reality
intertextual references When the song is playing everything pauses  
magic mixer things
someone falls over and focuses on a piece of paper thats the lyric
passes notes throughout the classroom 
childish
My initial idea is to use paper fortune tellers in the way of phone's 
Narrative but also intertextual reference to the song and the lyrics so audience understand.




Planning of the song and when the lyrics will appear to co-ordinate the editing and filming with the times when the lyrics appear.
The original remix is 5.57 minutes long but I will be cutting this down slightly and starting the song from 0.39 seconds.

Shadows settle on the place, that you left - 0.45s
Our minds are troubled by the emptiness - 0.50s
Destroy the middle, it's a waste of time - 0.56s
From the perfect start to the finish line - 1.0s
And if you're still breathing, you're the lucky ones - 1.06s
'Cause most of us are heaving through corrupted lungs - 1.12s
Setting fire to our insides for fun - 1.17s
Collecting names of the lovers that went wrong - 1.22s
The lovers that went wrong - 1.27s
The lovers (echo) - 1.38s
The lovers (echo) - 1.50s

Well I've lost it all, I'm just a silhouette - 2.14s
A lifeless face that you'll soon forget - 2.20s
Well I've lost it all, I'm just a silhouette - 2.25s
My eyes are damp from the words you left - 2.31s

We are the reckless, we are the wild youth - 3.21s
Chasing visions of our future - 3.25s
One day we'll reveal the truth - 3.32
But one will die before he gets there - 3.36s
And if you're still bleeding you're the lucky ones 3.34s
'Cause most of our feelings they are dead and they are gone 3.48s
Setting fire to our insides for fun - 3.53s
Collecting names of the lovers that went wrong - 3.59s
The lovers that went wrong - 4.04s
The lovers (echo) - 4.15s
The lovers (echo) - 4.26s
The lovers (echo) - 4.32s
The lovers (echo) - 4.38s
The lovers (echo) - 4.43s
The lovers (echo) - 4.48s

I've lost it all I'm just a silhouette - 4.50s
A lifeless face that you'll soon forget - 4.56s 
I've lost it all I'm just a silhouette - 5.01
My eyes are damp from the words you left - 5.07

(Song fades out and finishes) - 5.57s.



I have made visual mood boards so you can visually see how the narrative will pan out by using photos to describe feelings, mis-en-scene, props used and also by using some of my own photo's I have took myself.


Visual Mood boards.




In preparation of my music video I have decided to make a story board to show the sequence of shots I will need to use and how they will affect my final product.

Storyboard














By making a lot of storyboards it helps in preparation to kind of visualise what the type of music video will look like. I have used the templates as well which help massively in helping describe the exact shot types and camera movements etc. 

 have also decided to include a video on the fortune tellers I made and how exactly I made them. I suppose this just shows the planning I put into making the video and exactly how long each one takes to fold and make. 



Equipment used

For my music video I have decided to hire out a camera and tripod from the college which will be a deposit of £10. The camera will be my main focus in filming to get the best quality possible, the tripod will be used to try and get shots as steady as possible and also again to improve the quality of the music video. I will hire these out for a week and then if necessary film the bits I missed on my iPhone will does have pretty good quality but i have found when editing in the past that the mix between the two can sometimes make the iPhone quality look awful, I think this is just due to the mix both different cameras you can essentially tell the iPhone from the canon in most places. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Editing Evaluation

Final Editing Evaluation Over the past year I have accumulated a deeper knowledge and understanding through the use of editing softwares...