Thursday, October 10, 2019

4 Hour Film Challenges

4 Hour Film Challenges



Unusual Perspective 4 Hour Film - Disconnected


First film we were asked to do for the first four hour film challenge was to film an 'unusual perspective' film. We were asked to film and edit this within four hours which is challenging as we have to think of a narrative, get actors/actresses and also film and edit which can be tough. During out studies at the moment we have been looking into the 'New Wave' era, this really influenced us on our idea to film and produce what we did in this sense, it has lots of new wave elements such as no real narrative and also you make up the plot line in your head as it's hard to comprehend and label it a narrative itself. 


(cant insert film - link broken)




I believe my film worked well because we used an unusual perspective (as the brief was), we had a different use of colour and the themes and values of our film were really different and out of the ordinary, the shots were in fact in really good focus however we can see in some shots that the definition and focus is really blurred but we found out that this is only due to the colours when they were placed onto the camera caused a type of block of the definition giving it a slightly blurred look. 

Doing my film again I would definitely decide to sellotape the colours red/blue together as we had someone holding them up lat time which caused them to be constantly moving/not still. The filter impacts the definition too much in my opinion, they worked well but really changes the whole focus of the film, to change this for net time I would probably add the filters on photoshop instead of holding them up onto the actual camera. I would also film a bit more to make the context a bit more understandable (it was meant t be unusual perspective so the narrative doesn't necessarily need to make perfect sense however I would like it to have more of a clear element to it).





Illusions 4 Hour Film - Wii


In this 4 hour film challenge we were given the idea to create a film using illusional aspects, in this one we decided to create a stop motion type of film of the world-renowned wii theme tune song so that on each 'beat' we had each of us change position or shape of something within the scene was different as well as all of us having to be completely still when something has been moved so that it created the illusional aspect to it.


I believe that the film worked specially well, I think it was entertaining and grabs the eye of the audience as it's using a very classic song and has elements of humour to it. It's got that random and quirky aspect to it and in a way it's extremely satisfying to watch that on every beat something within the scene changes. The placing of the camera was very good as it doesn't move throughout the whole film which is a good technique to only use one person on the camera (as it could potentially move if more than one person was to be in charge of filming. It was very time consuming to edit as you have to get it on exact beat and some were long and some were very short so I believe that it is done very well. I also think watching it back quite frequently the beats are mostly on time which also adds to the illusion.

I think if I were to do it again i would have made it a lot longer as it doesn't actually finish to the whole wii song, or instead of making it longer bring it to an end in some way by either adding some of the and the camera is actually slightly out of focus in most shots so i would probably change the settings to make it more defined if I had personally filmed it. Other than them few minor details I think it has a really good and grabbing narrative. 




1920'S 4 Hour Film - RUN


For this four hour film challenge we were asked to compose a film that would fit into the 1920's era. the 19020's era was full of silent and black and white films that had a narrative as such and actors making really big exaggerating moves (as there was no sound). In the expressionism way in which we had to film was obvious and I added things such as the classic silent film music and the overlay in black and white to make it look like the very early 1900's films.



I think my film went well as within the group it was my original idea to film the footage we did (the narrative) as well as being a main actress in the film, it has the scenic style and signature look of a typical 1920's film. It has a playful element to it which is entertaining for the audience, the different choices and varied shot types worked and the narrative makes sense and is all in a specific order which helps the audience to understand it more. 

If I were to film it again however, I know I would now add a lot more varied angles, maybe close ups of faces with very big expressions, a lot more planning to it and planning of the shots, I would also add a few more title screens to carry the narrative through out with the chaser saying things like 'I have something for you' etc, to keep the narrative in play. I would also play about more with the effects to add a bit more of a stop motion type feel to it as the cameras in the 19020's had slight jolts. Overall my film works well in the 1920's theme but if I were to redo it I would now have a better idea of the more stylistic composition of the actual frames and how the film was going to work.




Music Video 4 Hour Film - About You


For this four hour film challenge we were asked to compose a music video from the song About you - XXYYXX (Sina Sadeghi Remix). We could interpret the song however we wanted and the challenge was to use a lot of stock footage to make the video. 

I was inspired heavily by the works of Koyaanisqatsi who uses beautiful scenes of the environment and then compares them to the city scenes now and how evolution of the world is ruining these beautiful climates. All of my footage was from the website pexels and I created the illusion using the different footages how man has changed the landscapes by creating these environmental damages. 
I think my film works well in the scenes it shows a drastic change and i created an illusion that changes on the exact beats. If i were to redo this challenge I would probably create more interesting slides to look at with more words as all of it is mainly just similar types of stock footage. I love the transition from each landscape where its got a kind of glitchy delusion feel. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Editing Evaluation

Final Editing Evaluation Over the past year I have accumulated a deeper knowledge and understanding through the use of editing softwares...