Saturday, March 14, 2020

Final Music Video and Evaluation

Final music video

Here is my final finished music video, I've decided to shorten the song as 5 minutes was personally too long for me to film, and I decided to leave the narrative on a cliffhanger / an open enigma so the audience can put together their own ending. From researching other music video's by hybrid minds eg. 'Kismet', I found out that the music video's don't necessarily have any type of storyline they take the more experimental route which could be interpreted to be polysemic. The main basis to my narrative was to use fortune tellers in the use of phones, to also elaborate to the audience the lyrics but also as an element of fantasy and something i hadn't seen before. I wanted to incorporate this type of playful element to it however to also still look captivating as a whole different plot line. 

    

In my music video I really like the cuts and how I filmed a lot of different angles from the same scene so I was able to manage the 'fast paced' edit I was looking for. I really liked how this element of my music video turned out, I believe it surfaces the fast natural beat of the music I chose and really works well to bring out this tone. I think by using the narrative structure with a slight experimental natural feel it would appear more unique and create a lot of enigmas for the audience. I believe it fits into the genre of the music it relates to (liquid drum and bass) because it contains the soft element of the story along with the quick paced editing that I tried to incorporate the whole way through. I also feel as though the storyline I have does unfold in a chronological order or some sorts as the concept is very easily understood and when shown to people who haven't seen it before also agreed with this fact.

This song in particular is one of my favourite songs to listen to when I'm just doing anything really because of the softness of it, I prefer this version a lot more to the actual version as it amplifies the lyrics a lot more and makes them seem a lot more important as they've cut a lot of the initial ones out. I can picture the first time I heard it and what attracts me to this song and genre in particular is that every song i hear from it, every time I play it it always sounds like from the first time I heard it - incredible. I believe now more than ever there are certainly a lot more genres in the music industry than before, with lots of 'hybrids' and a lot of people are unknown to a lot of these. I believe that liquid drum and bass is a very big up and coming genre people are starting to realise and come to terms with, I chose it because it fits with the modern world and my narrative tries to draw you away from it in a sense which both contradict each other.

I think another element I would 100% definitely think about next time around is lighting. As you can see from different clips in my music video there are parts filmed outside and parts filmed inside, the inside clips tend to be that of a rubbish quality I personally do not like at all. This is due to using natural school lights that come off with more of a yellowy tone rather than a natural tone. For this I didn't use a very high ISO as I knew the lower you use it the more natural and better the quality normally comes out. Meaning if I did this whole video again i would definitely use maybe a ring light of some sort if I had the chance.
However not to toot my own trumpet but the quality of the footage took outside (this shot in particular) was definitely one of my favourites.


I actually filmed a LOT of footage for this, too much for one scene and not enough for others(or not enough good quality ones to use). If I was to redo this I know that I should try and get as much footage as possible, to try and fit the lyrics in time with the music wasn't too hard but to work my story around it I could've definitely planned a lot better. I also would've planned better, my initial plan was to only use one actor in it as put bluntly the less actors the less people you would have to let you down. So I was playing it rather safe to use just one actor a close friend who I knew wouldn't let me down. We actually also filmed on multiple days he had to wear the same outfit 3 days in a row (lol) which he certainly wasn't fond of, but it did help me.

In my music video you can see that I represented Andrew Goodwin's theory of illustrating lyrics through the use of the fortune teller which was used as my main motif of the experimental/narrative. I wouldn't class it as an illustrative video as per however I would say there are glimpses of illustrating moments and this would perhaps be one. Which does show the relationship between both elements in these parts is direct. Personally I believe I did really well in getting these lyrics exactly on par which helps me to get a better understanding of editing and premiere pro. The shots also look pretty similar to each other which was the exact look I was hoping for which I managed to achieve. 




Technical Issue:
There were multiple clips that I couldn't include in my final video which would've made the ending a lot more understandable and better in my opinion, however when editing my Mac book wouldn't encode the files as the IOS files (shot on my phone) were different to the camera files and every time I opened them they would freeze and wouldn't encode to MP4 which was increasingly frustrating which unfortunately wouldn't allow me to use them. 
However I have inserted a clip below so you can imagine the extra details yourself, a lot of them were very long so had trouble exporting to my macbook which is very slow anyway :


No comments:

Post a Comment

Editing Evaluation

Final Editing Evaluation Over the past year I have accumulated a deeper knowledge and understanding through the use of editing softwares...