Monday, November 18, 2019

New Wave Film and Evaluation

New Wave Film


Evaluation

In my new wave film I tried to incorporate emotion and passion in different elements. Love, lust and loss and life all shot in handheld camera, slightly shaky and real locations to provide the classic connotations of the British New Wave. I used found footage and real people(not actors) to create the illusion of new wave, and social constructs. My video was slightly randomised shots however with a range of close ups, mid shots, playing about with lots of different speeds.

I decided to not use the voiceover and my original thoughts for the film due to not having the equipment and the actors to use multiple people, the voiceover would've made it a lot better and created more of a new wave feel however I decided against only due to the type of equipment I had.

I duplicated a few shots the main one I kept reusing was the train going past, I used this in a transition type way of on to the next scene as everything is so quiet . There is a slight narrative to it but you can interpret new wave in any way you want as long as you can back it up with your own evidence. But my way of interpreting it was a boy that had lost his first love, and was dealing with it in many different ways. Inspired by the New wave films I had researched with have many different interpretations. 

The sequence is randomised so I could incorporate the variety of shots and different types of new wave styles. I think what went well was the lighting in the film is very natural and you can tell it's handheld however the quality was still not diminished by this factor. From videoing it by phone the quality of it was outstanding, as you cant change the different shutter speeds or the ISO. I had to choose my certain times to film and I chose at the correct times which gave me the lighting I wanted.

I had a different plan to what I actually filmed and I cut out and mixed and match different clips to create the sequence I wanted. I believe that my actual plan would've been better if I had had more time to be able to edit i would've included a voiceover and many more shots, but some of the shots I had we're bad quality and shot at night so due to not having a high quality camera to be able to shoot well in the dark (unable to change ISO) i filmed everything in light.

I also would've contained more of a clear narrative as to some people it could be unclear what happens, however new wave is about life and my film exactly shows that with the included time lapses on real locations e.g train stations, in a car driving round a common area with many cars. I tried to vary the shot types but I would definitely include more if I redid with different angles of the same scene to create this common theme that runs throughout New Wave. The structure of my film is good with different sounds and different speeds of the same shots to create illusional effects. I believe my film fits into the new wave category however could be drastically improved with more new wave themes intertwined throughout and i could've used speech to make it more realistic.

By using real locations and handheld camera you can achieve a raw film, open to interpretation by the audience which new wave films are. My film contains raw emotions and very different interpretation of new wave with lots of locations people see in daily lives, I think the film would've been better in black and white, I would change if i were to redo it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Editing Evaluation

Final Editing Evaluation Over the past year I have accumulated a deeper knowledge and understanding through the use of editing softwares...